Definition of Social Wellness
Social wellness refers to the relationships we have and how we interact with others. It involves building healthy, nurturing and supportive relationships as well as fostering a genuine connection with those around you. Conscious actions are important in learning how to balance your social life with your professional life. Social wellness also includes balancing the unique needs of romantic relationships with other parts of your life.
Why is Social Wellness Important?
Social wellness allows you to build healthy relationships with others. Having a supportive social network also allows you to develop skills that help you become comfortable with who you are in social situations. Surrounding yourself with a positive social network increases your self-esteem. It help you learn how to create boundaries that encourage communication, trust and conflict management.
The Way to Social Wellness
As you begin your way to social wellness, you will discover that you have the power to enhance your personal relationships. This allows you to practice empathy and active listening. There are many ways you can begin your journey on the way to social wellness. Below are some suggestions on how to enhance your social wellness.
- Reflect on yourself and your social needs. What aspects of your social life do you enjoy or what would you like to improve?
- Make an effort to keep in touch with supportive friends and family.
- Practice self-disclosure.
- Participate in group discussions and practice active listening.
- Join a club or organization.
- Get involved with a business group.